Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Independence Day

Hi there! I hope everyone had a fabulous 4th remembering and honoring the men and women who sacrifice so much to keep us all safe. In church Sunday, our choir sang a salute to all the branches of the armed forces. My grandfather, Avant Daughtry, was in the Air Force and died in a crash when my mom was only 2. I love hearing his fight song. It makes me so proud, yet at the same time reminds me of how much I wish I could have known him. All I know is that he was a truly AMAZING man!

"Off we go into the wild blue yonder,
Climbing high into the sun.
Here they come zooming to meet our thunder,
At'em boys, give 'er the gun!
Down we dive spouting our flame from under
Off with one helluva roar!
We live in fame or go down in flame! Hey!
Nothing'll stop the US Air Force!"

After church, we rested a little and then went out to the Yacht Club for some swimming and fireworks. It was a lot of fun. The boys looked so cute, if I don't say so myself, in their matching outfits that Mimi made them. 

Happy Birthday America!




Watching with Daddy
All I can say is, this could be trouble with a capital T!! :)

 I will leave you with this. I have been thinking about this word "Independence." I looked up some synonyms for it and found these: self–sufficiency, self-dependence, and self-reliance. I was really struck this year with just how "independent" our country is becoming of God the Almighty Creator. I read in my devotional that "In the world, dependency is seen as immaturity. But in God's Kingdom, dependence on Him is a prime measure of maturity." I just pray that as 2011 rolls on, we will all remember that we are so privileged to live in an "independent" country but that it is still "Under God" forever and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment