Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Glorifying Busyness

As I was reading my devotional Monday I came across something very interesting. “You live among people who glorify business; they have made time a tyrant that controls their lives.” It went to say that “God has called us to follow Him on a solitary path, making time alone with Him our highest priority and deepest Joy.” I chewed on this one a while…deepest joy???...interesting, convicting, and overwhelming all at once. In our world, we barely have time to stop and use the bathroom, much less spend time ALONE with God AND be joyful about it! It gave the example of Martha and Mary.
“As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed, Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” - Luke 10:38-42
This truly amazes me; #1 that Martha would actually have the guts to complain to Jesus and #2 that Mary would get kudos for sitting and listening. Nowadays if you “sit and listen” for more that five minutes, you are getting called a lazy slug in no time flat.
In Sunday school our teacher challenged us to meditate on a specific verse this week and be still and listen for God’s response. At first I thought, “Yeah right, there are a million verses. I’ll never be able to pick one. Oh well, guess I won’t be doing that.” Then Monday morning my devotional pointed me straight to those verses. I want to know what God has to say about these verses. How do you balance accomplishing day to day life, while still putting Him at the helm of your day? I know the #1 answer is ALONE time with God. A few weeks ago I read that we should “Be willing to fight for time with God. Opposition comes in many forms: your own desire to linger in bed; the evil one’s determination to distract you from the Lord; the pressure of family, friends, and your own inner critic to spend your time more productively.” For me, it’s definitely the last one that gets me. It’s like a festering guilt that I should be doing something else, anything other than quiet time with My Creator. I think it’s about time to kick what the world thinks to the curb and remind myself daily that my Holy Father wants me to “Delight [myself] in the LORD, and He will give [me] the desires of [my] heart.” – Psalm 37:4

Hope everyone is having a great week! Here are a couple of cute pics from last week!
     Lilly Gayle came over and they went on a "bug hunting   expedition"




  
Davis enjoyed watching the tractor at the farm!
That face cracks me up!           

No comments:

Post a Comment