Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Nicknames


Nicknames are a HUGE part of my life. You see with a name like Elizabeth, pretty much no one actually calls me Elizabeth. Let’s face it 4 syllables don’t just roll off the tongue. I have always had a lot of nicknames. When I went to college,I stenciled all my nicknames onto my bunk.
In case you can’t read them from the picture: Ibis, Lilly, Nibs, Biz, Ayah, Liz, Izzy-B (since then Lizzard has been added to the repertoire)
Now with that all said, I never really thought about nicknames until I was a grownup. My closest friends here in Savannah mostly call me Liz. Now this gets a little funny when they introduce me to someone and then I, without thinking, say “Hi I’m Elizabeth!” The person looks very puzzled. One girl asked me one day, “What do you want me to call you? I’m so confused!” I laughed. I would never introduce myself as anything other than Elizabeth but I absolutely love my nicknames! I can’t wait to see what new ones friends and family come up with through the years!
Lately, i've been thinking about whether God has nicknames for us. It's so fun for me to think about Him sitting up there calling us by a nickname as we grow in our personal relationship with Him! In my devotional book the other day it said, "the best way to befriend your problems is to thank God for them. You can even give persistent problems nicknames, helping you to approach them with familiarity rather than dread. He will not necessarily remove your problems, but His wisdom is sufficient to bring good out of every one of them." This really stuck out to me since I have a tendency to nickname absolutely everything. In high school my Honda Accord was nicknamed Samantha. Chris and I both have huge feckless on our leg that I nicknamed Meg and Jefferson! I nicknamed one of my friends Watt after her middle name. I'm telling you people, I really like nicknames. I personally think God does too! I have named two of my struggles Samson and Virginia. I will continue to lift them up to the Lord and take the weight off my own shoulders. I know that He will bring good out of them and certainly I am growing by leaps and bounds which is nothing but a GOOD GOD!
Nighty night!
Love,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment