Thursday, July 5, 2012

Back to the basics

Mothering truly is the most difficult task I have ever been given and although pictures can do a great job of painting the good times, they don't at all portray the times when I think steam might literally come out of my ears, or I might actually just get in the car and drive away, or my screams can probably be heard within a 100 yard radius. I think one of the scariest parts can be not knowing what your ROI will be. Now for all you non-finance majors out there that is "return on investment." In this world where we know for certain Satan is here among us, raising children can be a very intimidating job. 1 Peter 5:8 tells us, "Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." This means that we must be ever mindful when raising our little people to make sure that they know the truths of God's word so that they can guard against the devils attacks when they come, because they WILL come.

The other day I was so encouraged when reading one of my favorite blogs, Marathon Mom. She is the mother of eight boys that she homeschools and although I don't even know her, I am pretty much in awe that any one human can endure that and have the energy to blog about it as well. Anyway, here is what she reminded me of.
"I want every single one of my children to love God, know God, and grow up to live for Him.
I sigh because I realize it’s the ONLY thing that matters in motherhood.  It’s the entire point.  Nothing else that I accomplish with these boys academically is more important than this one thing.  Sure, haircuts, diaper changes, clean dishes, soccer games, and orthodontic appointments have to happen, because, in short, in taking care of these children’s needs, I AM nurturing them toward that ONE GOAL.  In loving them and in serving them and in taking the best care of them that I can, I am working toward that one goal. So, God, please help us keep in perspective what it means to keep our children’s hearts. Please help us remember that their hearts ultimately belong to YOU, first, and that we are only temporary stewards of their precious hearts.  Help us to remember, even on hard days, the importance of our work.   Help us remember we’re not just “keeping our homes”, or keeping a schedule, or keeping a menu.  But that in doing all these things, we’re serving them, we’re keeping their hearts, so that we….so that they, can serve YOU."

1 comment: