Friday, May 13, 2011

Goals...10K Victory!

One thing is for certain about me and that is that I'm goal oriented! I'm also a perfectionistic planner which can definitely be a huge pain in the beehind when working towards a goal. I recently decided I wanted to run a 10K in under 52 minutes. My friend Alyssa helped me come up with a plan.
First she used this pace chart to help me to see what my per mile pace would need to be to reach my goal. Then I used this 8 week Advanced 10K training plan and went to work. I have to train inside a lot on a treadmill so i used a chart like this one to be able to know how fast on the treadmill to go. Okay so enough details. I trained, Alyssa ran it with me, and I finished in 51:24!!!!!! Chris brought the boys down to cheer me on at the finish. I don't think there is a better feeling than coming around a corner and seeing them all shouting and smiling. I absolutely love reaching goals. Sometimes to reach a goal, you have to go outside the box, choose a different path or scratch your entire plan all together and establish a new one. I love running because it has been something that I can set a goal, and with the help of a well laid out plan, follow it, and reach the goal. I wish more things in my life were that black and white! In my devotional the other day it said, "Your failures can be a source of blessing, humbling you and giving you empathy for other people in their weaknesses." What an eye opener for me. I truly HATE to fail or feel like I have let anyone down, but it is so true that in our moments of defeat, we are humbled to ourselves and drawn to the feet of our Master. This world is getting so "gray" and I am so saddened sometimes when i turn on the news, open a paper, or even walk around downtown Savannah...but then I hear these words clanging in my ears:
"Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:13-14)
 I pray you all have a great weekend and that our focus would be on Him and His desires instead of our own!

One more thing..........Chris got us a Cannon Rebel camera and boy oh boy am I excited to have a new hobby. I promise lots and lots of pictures to come! :) Plus I am starting a blog for my grandmother's organic farm Heritage Organic Farm and will have more on that too very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment