Saturday, April 9, 2011

Unrealistic Expectations


I think unrealistic expectations have driven me for a very long time. Whether it was back in school thinking I could never make any grade less than an A, in my body image desiring to be a petite size 2 and being made by God to be a bigger boned girl, in my sons that they would behave in public and not be obnoxiously hyper like other little boys, that I would be able to make delicious meals every night for my family and keep my house organized all the time, that I would be able to be the daughter/friend that can always help in any situation…the list goes on and on!!!!
I am a perfectionist planner and when things don’t go the way I had thought they would, it’s not an easy adjustment for me. My devotional the other day said, “Do not let your to do list (written or mental) become an idol directing your life. Instead, ask God to guide you moment by moment.” This was quite a slap in my little planning face! I think sometimes we forget to just “Be still before the Lord.” (Zech 2:13) “In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength.” (Isaiah 30:15) In my old age, I’ll be 30 the end of this month J, I’ve finally come to a clearer understanding of God’s amazing grace and that He does have expectations of us, but not unrealistic ones. They may be difficult at time, especially standing firm on His black and white truths laid out in His word in today’s “feel good” culture, but the eternal rewards are limitless. I am determined to plan a little less and spend more time on my knees asking God to show me what He desires from me to further His kingdom. I truly believe that when we focus more on God’s expectations and not those of the world and the people in it, it’s then that we will finally have realistic expectations!
I took the boys to my Aunt’s house to ride horses again yesterday. It was yet another great lesson in lowering expectations and showing others grace that the Lord so freely offers us. Grady whined and complained when he had to let Davis have a turn and whined some more when we had to leave and whined some more when we didn’t have what he wanted for lunch. It’s so frustrating to do something nice for someone and they don’t appreciate it, but think how often God feels that way about us! Despite the whining, Grady still got to trot on a horse for the first time and Davis got to ride alone for the first time and we all still had a blast!
Love,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment