Monday, June 25, 2012

When God Makes Us WAIT

As I was walking a few mornings ago, I was struck by the magnitude of living in limbo. I felt waves of anxiety and anger sweep over me and then I took a step back and began to think about all the times throughout our lives that we are called to WAIT. Right now, we are waiting to meet our daughter in less than six weeks and transition from a family of 4 to a clan of 5 (actually we are in denial but that is for another post!)
 We have looked at all the houses that are currently on the market in our desired areas and there is nothing that feels like home, so we are waiting for someone else to move and a house to come on the market.
I then thought about my uncle who is battling cancer and has been for about 21 months now and as he puts it, he is waiting for his "walking papers." Now that puts waiting into perspective!
I have a friend who is struggling with her health and the unknown of what is wrong and she is waiting on test and doctors to figure out a diagnosis. I have another friend who has completed her first round of chemo and is waiting to see the results of her pet scan before moving forward with radiation all while caring for her two young sons. Again...perspective!
Sometimes once the waiting is over, it seems it was worth each second. I know a couple who had been waiting 3 years for a baby and just this past week was blessed with a little girl to adopt into their family. My precious cousin and her fiance are currently counting down the days until they say "I Do" and I know they will love and enjoy the gift that marriage is.
As I really thought about waiting and how absurdly aggravating and at times completely saddening it can be to me and the ones I love, I remembered that it is not about my timing, it is about His. God, in His infinite wisdom, brings each of us to WAIT so that we are reminded of our need for Him. So much good can come during these times if we remember to keep looking up and asking for help. I am so thankful that it is not my job to understand these periods of waiting, and I am telling myself everyday that I must cling to the Lord and have faith in His promises.
Psalm 5:3 "In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly."
Isaiah 30:18 "Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; therefore he will rise up to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!"

1 comment:

  1. I so need this today and everyday recently!!!!I feel like I am living with a lot of unknowns and it is so hard. I keep praying for "direction" and still waiting. Thanks for the reminders...I know a lot of people are "waiting" on things that are A LOT worse than mine.
    Shannon Elmgren

    ReplyDelete