Friday, September 16, 2011

People with Dynamite Passion

So, let me ask you a question. Do you know anyone that has such a passion for God that when you are around them you feel almost electrified? Well, that's the way I feel most Sunday when our pastor, Dr. Allan Bosson finishes preaching. He grew up as an atheist, came to know Christ in his early 20's, gave up a well-paying career in engineering, and when he speaks it's as if he can't contain his excitement about Jesus and our Almighty God. His passion for God and His inerrant Word literally exudes out of him and you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he believes in God's ultimate sovereignty with all his human might.
Bible Study Fellowship started this past Wednesday and I'm eager to see what God has in store for me through this study. My mom has completed all 8 years of BSF and growing up I would see her studying, hear her learning, and couldn't wait until it was my turn. She always used an NIV pictorial Bible that I've never seen in stores, and she found one online and gave it to me. Now I get to underline, highlight, learn, and grow using the very same copy of God's Word that she used. Dr. Bosson popped into my mind Wednesday, because in BSF we will be studying the book of Acts. In our opening lecture, the leader was pointing out that Acts really focuses on the Holy Spirit and the "power" that it brings to us when we accept Jesus and the Holy Spirit comes to dwell inside us. (Acts 1:8) She said it's like dynamite inside us and we "light the fuse" be delving into the Bible and soaking in God's Word. She said "Is your life dynamite? If you are a follower of Christ then you have the "power from on high" for it to be and the tool is right in front of you. (Luke 24:49)" In other words, I should be just as passionate about Christ and God's Word as Dr. Bosson because the same Holy Spirit resides in him that does in me! I felt a skip in my step when I left that day and I feel blessed to have the chance to intensely study about my Heavenly Father.
Now, I wanted to mention one more thing about people with passion. My mom, for as long as I can remember, has used every opportunity you can imagine to share Christ with me, my little brother, and now my young sons. Remember in one of my recent posts when I said, "Whenever I am on the water or look out onto it, I feel like I can see a glimpse of God sparkling on the top of the waves. It reminds me of just how great our Father is!" Well, my mom has always taken the time to point out little things like that to me. She uses most anything as a "teachable God moment." Is she perfect? Far from it, mainly because she is human, but truly she has lived the verse Proverbs 22:6, "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." She puts no weight on material things or earthly beauty or even the opinions of others. She only considers God's opinion, not the world's. When I was a "too cool for you teenager" I, of course, took this for granted. I would roll my eyes as she pointed out the amazing sunset that God painted or the birds singing to the tune of a hymn or that I didn't need to go to the tanning bed because I was exactly how God wanted me to be...BUT all the while, her words were soaking in deeper and deeper. She is such an awesome spiritual mentor to me and I pray that I can instill the same values and knowledge about God in my sons as she has in me. I love you more that I can say Mom!
 Hope everyone has a fun-filled, relaxing weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment