Monday, September 5, 2011

Heritage Organic Farm


Oh how I love this place! You may have noticed the tab at the top of my blog and wondered exactly what it was doing there. Well, my grandmother, Shirley Daughtry, was the first certified organic farmer in Georgia.  She has a certified organic box business that serves Savannah, Richmond Hill, Statesboro, and Effingham County. She is an absolutely amazing woman and is an incredible role model to me. Widowed in her mid twenties, she then raised two little girls alone, worker her way to becoming a middle school principal and Savannah Country Day and then found her true passion in life…organic farming. I was always very close to her growing up but as I got older, the 30-minute drive to the farm seemed to get longer and I definitely saw her less. When Grady was born, I knew I wanted to keep my brain working while I stayed at home with him, so I decided to start working for her one day a week. I went ever Monday for 4 ½ years and worked as her office manager. It was awesome to be able tot see her so often and to take first Grady and then both boys with me. They both LOVE the farm, but Grady is just plainly obsessed. It was hard for him this past year because one of his school days was on Monday and he always wanted to go with us and “work” with Mooma instead. Recently I started feeling a tug at my heart because I knew that I really needed to readjust my focus and put in some extra energy with my family. Davis’ sensory therapy will be on Mondays now and also Grady will be in school every morning this year. In July, I transitioned my duties over to my cousin’s wife Charlotte, and another lady who is volunteering. God truly worked out all the details but I sure do miss it, well mainly I just miss my grandmother. I took the boys up Friday to visit and they had a blast. Grady enjoyed “driving” the tractor, while Davis dreamed of mowing the fields. We took the golf cart down to the neighbors’ to feed the goats some fresh arugula and they got to see her chickens. The hens have grown so fast and one even turned out to be a rooster! Oops! I feel so blessed that they get to experience things like this. It truly is just “down to earth” fun!! I now update her blog for her, which is what the tab on my page links you to. Check it out if you ever want to know what’s going on around the farm!






















Grady starts school tomorrow and Davis starts Wednesday, so this in a BIG WEEK! We are all very excited around here! Hope you all have a great week too.
Love in Him,

No comments:

Post a Comment