Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thankfulness

  This past Sunday morning in Sunday School, we went around the room and each said what we were thankful for. Now you might think, blah blah blah, people will just spout off the old basics and move on but let me just tell you, that is exactly the opposite of what happened. I am so thankful for my church and for the fellow believers I am able to be around there. The words they speak never cease to amaze me and the love they have for our Heavenly Father is awe-inspiring. I shared that I am thankful for Bible Study Fellowship this year and how it is giving me the accountability I need to get into God's word and actually study so that I can know God in a deeper way. I also shared my thankfulness to my husband for providing for our family above and beyond what I could have ever imagined. Financial stability is a gift which can be fleeting and I do NOT take it for granted.
  This week I have really been thinking a lot about thankfulness. If we let our focus slip from a Heavenly one to an Earthly one, it sure can change our perspective on gratitude. I have really been struggling over the past few months when Davis shows his true colors in public and all the side glances and murmurs and whatnot begin. Or when Grady acts out, which in turn causes Davis to act out, and before you know it, I am the referee for World War 3. I realized that sometimes it is difficult for me to feel thankful for them in those moments and I quickly came to the conclusion that it is because I am worried about #1 what people think of me as a parent and #2 what people think of them as children. I know obviously that as a parent we are hear to teach, guide, and discipline our children to help them become warriors for Christ, but I can't do that if I am worried about the judgment of others rather than focused on the gift/task that God has given me in parenting. This week, I am going to focus on being thankful for the unique gift that they each are and know that God has a special plan and purpose for them.
  I am so grateful for BSF, but this week especially, it was just the slap in the face I needed! The leader said, "What we focus and think on is who/what we will begin to look like." One of the key principles was "Fixing my thoughts on Jesus directs my beliefs and actions. God's rest, the unshakable confidence that Christ's work has been done for each one of us, is the reward," and for that I am thankful!!
Very thankful for rare moments like these that make all the other ones worth it!
Happy Thanksgiving! 

No comments:

Post a Comment