Saturday, August 20, 2011

God is there!

So, where to begin? Well how about "What's the Point?" I titled my blog this months ago because I figured this would be my positive outlet to ramble on about my journey to find God's point for my life. I truly  think it will be a life-long journey, but over the summer, I have definitely gotten some feedback from the Big Guy Upstairs! I mentioned about a month ago that I felt God was pointing out the Mary and Martha scripture to me. Well, since then it has been in Grady's devotional not once but twice, used as an example in the book Weird that I'm reading, and used as an illustration on His Radio while I was tuned in. Now if that's not red lights flashing, what is!!!!!
So... I have been trying to "sit and listen" at the feet of the Lord more and have found out a few things. God truly does have a plan for all of us. I would have never thought that God would use my precious little Davis to bring me to my knees, humble myself and draw closer to Him. I was reading a recent post on Femina Girls blog. The title was God Will Never Give you More... and here is what caught my eye, "I know that God has promised to never leave us or forsake us; He has promised no temptation will ever be so bad that we can’t escape. But He never promised not to give us more than we could handle. In fact, He gives us more than we can handle all the time. If He didn’t, then we would not need to lean on Him for grace and strength." Well, these days, I definitely feel like I've been given a little more than I can handle, but I am truly learning to lean on God like I never have before.
Some of you know that Davis began speech therapy back in May and at that time, the "evaluator" told me that he seemed to be sensory seeking and wanted him to be evaluated by an occupational therapist. I wasn't exactly surprised by this, but felt very overwhelmed not knowing really what that even meant. I had been concerned about Davis for a while but you always get the:
   "Oh, he is just a rambunctious little boy!"
   "He is two. Gotta love those terrible twos!"
   And even from doctors, "Oh, don't worry. He'll outgrow it all. Toddlers are a handful."
I started to notice though that Davis has one of the sweetest hearts I've ever known, yet was coming across as aggressive at times with his peers. Anyway, LONG story short, the OT came and said that he does have some type of sensory integration problems. I felt relieved to not be crazy and sad all at once. I HATE labels, and thank goodness, she did NOT give him one, but for those who are curious, it falls under the umbrella term, Sensory Processing Disorder. He is HypO sensitive which basically just means that it takes a boom, pow, explosion to be noticed on his radar. This has been one big slice of humble pie for me and I have lots to learn, which of course I wish I did not, BUT I know and have been calling out to God James 1:17, "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." I have cried tears of joy over having answers and tears of sadness about having to overcome this. It is a huge blessing to understand that Davis isn't just unpredictable for no good reason, but that there is science behind all this and that we can learn how and what makes him "tick" and help him conquer these issues. I look forward to sharing about things we learn on this wild ride that we have been tossed onto called "SPD", but as a mother, my hope and prayer for Davis is that people would be able to see past the big boy who is not so gentle and see that he is a sweet, precious little man created by God to bless our family. He had his last speech session on Thursday and is speaking in 6 and 7 word sentences now even though he won't even be 2 1/2 till October 2nd so what a praise that is. I am praying daily for patience and gratitude and looking forward to long days of relaxation when college comes, because just like the sensory therapist told me Monday, "That's just not in the cards for right now." :)
I don't think it was just an accident that Sarah captured this picture when Davis was just one...
Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Ephesians 4:2 "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love."

No comments:

Post a Comment