Monday, October 3, 2011

Lives of Distinction

Wow, that title alone scares me! I was talking to a friend from church this morning and we were discussing how we have each felt a tug at our hearts over the last few years. After reading books like Crazy Love, Radical and Weird, you can't help but re-evaluate your own lifestyle. At first, I felt all out panic and considered selling all my possessions and moving to some third world country. After that 30 seconds passed, I realized that I actually had a much harder task ahead. I have to learn how to live a life of distinction in America, a seemingly impossible task. I decided that I had to start by taking baby steps. One area I was immediately convicted about was television shows and movies that I chose to watch. Now let me just say, I was the kid watching "90210" in middle school on volume 1 sitting 5 inches from the screen so that I could switch it when I heard someone coming. I went through a time where I was an all out "Days of Our Lives" junkie. I loved "Greys Anatomy" and even "Desperate Housewives". Then one day, I listened to myself as I was explaining to Grady why we don't watch certain cartoons in our house and it hit me like a ton of bricks.
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Philippians 4:8
Why did I think God's word didn't apply to me as well? I slowly "weened" myself off of my normal tv regimen and decided what shows I still felt okay watching. I decided to stick with "Biggest Loser" which was always one of my favorites. The premier was a few weeks ago and it looks like another inspiring season ahead. I was excited to see what I hope will be less back-biting and more camaraderie, but most of all I just enjoy watching the contestants find themselves again. There was a contestant a few seasons back named Abby Rike. It was very obvious that she knew the Lord and her story was truly unbelievable. Her husband, almost 6 year old daughter and 2 1/2 week old son were killed instantly in a car accident in 2006. She recently wrote a book called Working It Out, and right now I'm about half way through. She says, "I knew that this was a pivotal point in my life. It is easy to have faith and proclaim your love for the Lord when you have a perfect life - very easy. It's an entirely different thing when those beliefs remain the same through a tragedy beyond anything people can imagine. I had always been very grounded in my faith, but never had God's love for me been so tangible. I was a living example of the concept of a peace that passes all understanding." If you find yourself having a "woe is me," pity party kind of a day, just pick up this book and you'll soon be counting your innumerable blessings! She is a true inspiration and certainly a real example of a life of distinction. Anyway, for now I'm just gonna keep on taking baby steps. After all, I definitely think every step towards Him is part of the PoinT! :)
Speaking of distinction, these two cuties are definitely marching to the rhythm of their own drums most days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment